manufacturers such as Apple, Huawei, Microsoft, Samsung and Sony bring an armada of new tablet PCs on the market. As the new generation suggests? ULTIMATE TECH NEWS has tested current tablets.
beautiful mess: Satte 7.4 million tablets went last year over the counter – and most of the email Flasks landed beautifully wrapped under the Christmas tree. This business is going well like this year, bringing Amazon, Asus, Apple, Microsoft, Samsung, Sony & Co. now has a whole new set of tablets on the market – with the operating systems Android, iOS and Windows. ULTIMATE TECH NEWS has eight current models with smaller displays 7-8 inches and eight other tablets with large 10-inch screens for a new, much more sophisticated testing procedures tested.
- 1 Tablets with vigorous price pressure
- 2 Numbers please – the tablet Leader board!
- 3 Tons of apps for fun and work
- 4 Hard job for the hardware
- 5 Light, sharper, faster
- 6 Many pixels costs force
- 7 Does it have to be an eight core CPU?
- 8 Many seeds need a lot of energy
- 9 Hardware and software in harmony
- 10 Supple and tidy
- 11 Windows 10 instead of 8.1
- 12 What should still be on board?
- 13 Conclusion: Comparison Test Tablet PCs
Tablets with vigorous price pressure
Modern tablets must not only look smart and offer all-inclusive amenities, but also be available at attractive prices. How much of the price pressure is now, showing the trend of recent years: Lag the average selling price for a tablet 2011 or at 502 euros, it should be in 2015 only 265 euros. The price range of the tablets of this test then also reaches 60-720 euros, but because all the candidates of brand-name manufacturers as submitted, the average price of 429 Euro is slightly higher.
Numbers please – the tablet Leader board!
Apple carefully revised iPad mini 4 is currently the best tablet. Close behind is surprisingly the Huawei Media Pad X2 7.0. It shone with outstanding features and very long battery life. Ranked 3 follows the Apple iPad Air 2. With its slim and lightweight body makes it its name. The display convinced the A8X processor makes plenty of power. Behind him, the top model from Samsung: the Galaxy Tab 8.0 S2 with Knack sharp and brilliant AMOLED display. On the 5th ranked the HP Slate 8 Pro, ranked 6th noble Sony Xperia Tablet Z4. 7th place is the great Samsung Galaxy Tab S2 9.7, closely followed by the comparison to the tested in parallel Developer Tablet Project Tango by Google. Samsung Galaxy Tab A (9th place) and Dell Venue 8 7840 (10th) round out the top 10 from. In the Overview you will find these and other devices, the ULTIMATE TECH NEWS has tested.
Tons of apps for fun and work
Four years ago, most customers were happy when they were able to surf the internet using her tablet. Today, the claims are much higher, the flasks are also movies bring and series razor sharp on the screen. And: Tablets playing her talent as a mobile gaming console always better: The selection of titles is huge, thousands games are free, top games like “Modern Combat 5 – Blackout” with 3.99 euros comparatively low – current PC or console games cost 60 Euro and more often. But as a tablet should be not only fun, but also implement. Apps like Microsoft’s Office package are fortunately not subject to more Windows devices, but also for Android Tablets and iPads available – no one has to be more concerned with Google Docs around torture or other alternatives.
Hard job for the hardware
The sometimes grueling applications place high demands on the hardware: A spongy display, the pictures shows and movies just mushy? Nobody wants! A processor that launches apps only hesitantly and goes after just a few parallel programs opened to its knees? Out of date!
Light, sharper, faster
Therefore, the manufacturers equip on vigorously. Huawei, Sony and Samsung show with the displays of the Media Pad X2 7.0, Xperia Z4 and the two S2 Galaxy Tab, which goes: The playback is crisp with natural and almost unadulterated colors. The Media Pad X2 offered the highest brightness in the test – this is the outdoors at much sun recognize something on the tablet. In total, however, surpassed Apple iPad Air 2 and the iPad Mini 4 all test candidates: Your screens provide exactly the right contrast, high sharpness and brilliant color reproduction.
Many pixels costs force
But as power-hungry apps also need just the high-resolution displays a lot of power from the built-in processor. Cheap tablets like the also tested Amazon Fire for only 60 Euro show games and movies with comparatively modest 1024×600 pixels. For smooth playback, the computing unit including a built-in graphics chip has 614,400 pixels calculated – depending on the app between 25 and 40 times per second. That sounds like a lot of work, but is a no brainier compared to the tough job, the processors do with high-resolution displays. So shows the Dell Venue 8 7840 whopping 2500×1600 pixels, resulting in the gigantic number of 4,096,000 pixels – which are nearly seven times more pixels than the Amazon Fire.
Does it have to be an eight core CPU?
Are processor and graphics chip too weak, jerky playback while gambling of consuming titles of the caliber “Grand Theft Auto – San Andreas” or when playing Full HD movies.The operating system device ever stutter when many demanding apps like Photoshop Touch, Google Maps and the camera app open parallel. But the tablet needs therefore equal to an eight-core processor? Manufacturers like Samsung or Sony Tablets promote its Galaxy Tab S2 and Xperia Z4 with so-called octa-core CPUs. In theory, that sounds really great: the heart of these tablets is a chip, which is based on a designed by the British company ARM processor with “Big-Little” technique. That is: For demanding apps like games or Photoshop Touch the strong processor Quartet (“Big”) jumps to, simple tasks such as Facebook, Spotify & Co. takes over the slightly weaker quartet (“Little”). The CPU therefore not constantly working at full steam; the splitting of processor cores into two groups to save energy and thus save battery power. Both Tab S2 and Sony Xperia landed so at least in the top 10 of the fastest tablets. But the test also shows: The iPad Air 2 content with a three-core processor – and works even more nimble.
Many seeds need a lot of energy
On top of that comes the iPad much more efficient with its energy. In test point battery life it landed Although only average, but the Tab S2 models from Samsung, it did not make it into the Top 10. Both tablets were only six hours and 42 minutes without power, Sony managed seven hours and 22 minutes barely in the top 10. It is not the fastest, but the most persistent candidate was the Media Pad X2 Huawei. Only after 16 hours and 39 minutes long screen remained black – and despite the energy-hungry full HD displays.
Hardware and software in harmony
Not only the hardware determines battery life and work pace: Only if all components perfectly with Android, iOS and Windows harmonize, a tablet can operate nimbly and persevering. Are hardware and operating system is not well matched, the following symptoms show.
- Always full steam ahead: Although the user surfs the Internet only, through components such as processor and graphics chip at full speed and suck vigorously on the battery – the duration decreases drastically. A symptom that occurred sporadically when Sony Xperia Z4.
- Unit will become hot: work the computing units constantly under full steam, is produced on the display and the back palpable heat. In the test really hot again ran Sony and also the Google Tango.
- Apps crash: The best computing unit is of little use if apps and operating system performance can not fully appreciate and in the worst case even stand in the way.The consequences: The system crashes. But this occurred in any of the candidates in the test.
Supple and tidy
But the operating system is the best? The iPads have a distinct advantage: Apple provides hardware and software from a single source, thus the operation works smoothly, the pace is fast. However, the sharpest competitor Google has greatly enhanced its operating system: In comparison with the previous version, Android can use liquid 5, the menu is clearly structured. On the other hand many androids are overloaded: So that comes Lifetab S10345 of Medion with many unnecessary apps, as for the purchase from the manufacturer. How are better shows Asus at zenPad S 8.0: It works with Android 5.0 in a very friendly designed and uncluttered version (surface “Zen UI”). And instead of all the apps present on multiple screens, Asus has packed the Apps thematically meaningful in its own folder.
Windows 10 instead of 8.1
Microsoft also wants with Windows 10 finally break into the tablet market. In fact, the operation has improved, Windows Tablets result but still a shadowy existence. The tested Surface 3 Microsoft is a good all-rounder and replaced with the separately sold keyboard (150 euro) even a notebook. But where are tablets from other manufacturers?With the exception of one (test of the tablet Excellent 10) builds so far no other manufacturer new Windows 10 tablets. After all, there is for all existing models until July 29, 2016 Windows 10 now.
What should still be on board?
In addition to well-to-operate operating system, fast processor and brilliant display buyers should be aware of other issues.
- Memory expandable: Apple iPads have one serious disadvantage – her memory can not be expanded via micro SD card. But that works for the remaining 14 candidates and is especially important for users who stash a lot of movies, photos and apps on the tablet.
- WLAN ac: Who already paid a respective ac router has, injected with WLAN ac particularly fast through the Internet. Ten tablets are being tested via WLAN AC in the home network on the go.
- LTE: Who often mobile surfing via tablet, a should LTE model choose – eight models in this comparison have the Turbo-Funk.
- Bluetooth 4: In order for the data exchange with all fitness bands works or speakers, Bluetooth 4 should be there.
- NFC: Anyone around with respective speakers like quickly coupled his tablet by stringing Holding, should choose a tablet with NFC.
- Cameras: None of the test candidates bekleckerte himself in the role of the camera with fame. The best images yet delivered the two-Tab S2 devices from Samsung.Among the front-cameras are profiled especially the Surface 3 and the Xperia Z4 with ordinary pictures, for example, in video calling.
- FM radio: If you like listening to the radio, but its data volume will not charge via streaming, should choose a tablet with built-in radio. The tablets from Sony and Huawei have FM receiver on board.
Conclusion: Comparison Test Tablet PCs
Apple iPad Air 2 is already one year old, but still the measure of all things under the large tablets. Processing, operation and features are just the best. This is also true for the iPad mini 4. The improvements over the third version are marginal, but they are enough to keep the competition at bay. However, both iPads are really expensive, welcome cheap alternatives therefore: The small Amazon Fire and Samsung Galaxy TabA, the price-performance winner.