Remote proctoring technology provides online assessments with greater credibility
Organizations wanting to hire the very best talents are no more restricted locally but are proctoring candidates from across the globe. This way, the position can be filled up with deserving candidates, who can bring in plenty of potentiality, innovativeness and not only ensure that the task is completed, but also is able to bring in positive influence in the others. This in turn, results in availing the best solutions for the organization and increasing overall productivity.
About remote proctoring
It is online or virtual proctor and considered to be an advanced technology to help undertake assessments remotely. This feature allows organizations to conduct evolution from any location. It is irrespective of the candidate having access to high speed net connection and a computer. Invigilating through combination of different technologies like video images, monitoring software does prevent candidates from indulging in undesirable activities. It is rather a response to the growing demand for online candidate presence and to provide learning through the web in remote areas.
The conventional method of test conducing involving notifying candidates, booking physical test center, invigilating the tests, evaluation of answer sheets and declare results is considered to be the past and is slowly losing importance in today’s highly competitive digital age. Technologies and ideas are said to have converted the whole procedure into less cumbersome and amazingly crafted online proctoring process.
Know the types
There are three categories broadly which are given below:
- Automated advanced proctoring: Limited role is played by the proctor, as the entire exam is not required to be invigilated, especially those given before the screen. Instead the software does this job and keeps check on the candidate’s activities. If any fraud takes place, the automated system immediate issues alerts. The event is then rechecked by the proctor subsequently and decision taken accordingly.
- Recorded proctoring: This type helps to save data (logs and images) for that can be checked out and reviewed by the proctor at later periods. Simultaneous exams can be conducted by this system unlike that of lives proctoring having limited capabilities.
- Live online proctoring: In this case, the candidates are required to take online test and monitored by live proctor. The test can be disabled by the proctors if suspicious activities are found to be indulged by the candidates. More screen numbers to monitor, the exam numbers to proctor.
Know the features
Technology advancements have made it possible to secure assessment delivery. The below mentioned features are said to assist in making their delivery all the more sophisticated.
- Browsing tolerance: This feature when enabled help to identify and end the exam for those examinees found to loiter away from the actual test window, opening up additional tabs.
- Pre-authentication: It takes place much before the start of the exam. It is necessary for the candidate to authenticate his/her originality for giving the assessment. It is done by using Biometric, IP, etc. ID authentication procedure needs to be passed for the candidate to register successfully. Finger prints of the candidate are scanned and the biometric already submitted during the registration process is validated and verified along with the ID proof. Thus, the authentication procedure is completed, thereby assuring that the registered person is the one giving the exam.
- Report generation: Report is derived in two parts, namely one for the proctor and other for the candidate.
- Proctor’s Report: It is two-fold, namely offline and online. Online version is provided with few secretions that are included to the candidate’s report like difficulty level analysis based upon skill and assessment. The other is the comprehensive question based analysis section. Live video recording is given in this section. On the other hand, offline section is the online report’s download version. The person’s image is captured rather than the video.
- Candidate’s report comprises of overall performance summary with correct/incorrect attempts and percentiles. Person’s images are captured here instead of videos.
- Behavioral alerts: Red flags are immediately raised in case, the candidate is noticed to indulge in unwanted suspicious activities.
- To prevent leakage content, copy paste feature has been disabled.
- Remote authorization and control: The proctor is validated to pause and finish the test.
Quality of the result
It is quite obvious that with more investments, the quality of the test is likely to improve as the organization is able to get a product having amazing features. Similarly, the whole procedure’s recorded video version is stated to be a luxury item and does require good amount of investment. A recorded video is provided to the proctor by this feature of all activities right from the beginning of the test to the end and having red flags if any, in case, the candidate is found to deviate from the original assessment screen.
The experts conclude that online proctoring is actually two faced affair. The proctor is on the one side and candidate on the other. Viewed as one-to-many relationship, on an average, a proctor is known to invigilate about 5 to 10 candidates simultaneously. With high speed net connection, distance never is an issue. With the pre-requisites in place nothing is likely to stop from starting the test.
Summary of how to begin and end the test
- The candidate is to fill up the registration fields which includes his/her name, gender, date of birth, etc.
- ID proof is to be submitted at the Authorization page is, where facial recognition feature is activated. Webcam and microphone are also tested thoroughly to ensure proper functioning.
- Once the accessories are switched on, the proctor is able to view the candidates through the webcam in grid view and check the opened tabs through another window.
- A chat box present at the window’s bottom corner suffices the need for discussing issues and to convey/receive information.
- Automatic behavioral alert present notifies the proctor of any suspicious movement made by the candidate and to take appropriate call of action.
- On completion of exam time, the assessment automatically submits.
- The candidate gets presented with the results declared automatically, a comprehensive report (question-by-question analysis).
Thus, the proctor is able to conduct the exam safely and securely and get the best, honest results.